Qualification • Curriculum

Pearson – the Global Awarding Organisation

In the UK, we are the largest awarding organisation offering academic and vocational qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked, with educational excellence rooted in names like Edexcel, BTEC and LCCI.

We provide learning materials, technologies, world class qualifications, assessments and consultancy services to institutions, teachers and students in order to help people everywhere aim higher and fulfil their true potential. From primary to secondary school, through to professional certification; our qualifications, curriculum materials, multimedia learning tools and testing programmes help to educate millions of people worldwide.

Fast facts

  • 5,400 centres worldwide teaching our qualifications
  • 92 different countries offer our qualifications
  • 5,000+ regulated qualifications available
  • 3.5 million learners annually
  • 15,000 assessment experts

Our qualifications history

The story of Pearson becoming the UK’s largest awarding organisation began as long ago as 1836, when a royal charter gave the University of London its first powers to conduct exams and confer degrees on its students. In 1996 Edexcel was formed by the merger of the Business & Technology Education Council (BTEC) and London Examinations (ULEAC), which administered GCSEs and A-levels. London Examinations’ heritage stretched back, through several mergers of examinations boards, to the University of London Extension Board, founded in 1902. In 2003 Pearson acquired a 75% stake in Edexcel, before taking over the remaining 25% in 2005. In 2013 Pearson Education Ltd became the registered name of the awarding organisation.

For more information on Qualifications & Curriculum, please choose a link below:

FacebookTwitterGoogle+